About the course
This is a 1 year full time qualification for learners who wish to work towards becoming a Plumber in the Building Services industry.
It has been designed to deliver a high level of occupational skills and provide a platform from which to progress through further learning through an apprenticeship programme or into employment.
This vocational route at Level 2 is a vital step towards becoming a competent Plumber. The qualification will help you gain an understanding of the skills required within the Plumbing sector.
You will cover compulsory aspects such as:
- Hot Water
- Cold Water
- Central Heating
West Suffolk College work with local employers who will contribute to the knowledge and delivery of training. Employers will provide demonstrations and talks on the industry and where possible work placements may be provided by employers as this is a mandatory part of the course.
This practically based training is ideal preparation for gaining employment in the Plumbing industry or specialist further study.
Four GCSE's Grade C or above, including maths and English at Grade C (4). It is expected that the applicant will have a genuine interest in the industry and each applicant will be required to attend an interview to ascertain his/her suitability for the course as well as take a short aptitude test.
City and Guilds Level 2 Technical Certificate in Plumbing (8202)
What you'll learn (core modules)
This diploma has ten mandatory units:
- Health and safety
- Electrical principles
- Scientific principles for plumbing
- Common plumbing processes
- Cold water systems
- Domestic hot water systems
- Central heating systems
- Drainage systems
- Communication within the building services industry
This course is assessed by multiple choice exams, written assignments and practical assessments.
Any student aged 16 to 19 who does not hold a GCSE A* to C (9 to 4 on the new grading structure) or equivalent qualifications in Maths and English by age 16 will need to continue to study these subjects in each academic year.
Where will the course take me?
On successful completion of this course you can apply for the following courses:
- Extended Diploma - Construction & The Built Environment
- Plumbing Apprenticeship
- Upon completion of the Level 1 Diploma in Plumbing you can progress onto either Level 2 Technical in Plumbing (Maths and English grades dependent) or Level 2 Access to Building Services Engineering.
- Upon completion of the Level 2 Access to Building Services Engineering you can progress onto the Level 2 Technical in Plumbing/ Electrical (Maths and/ or English dependent)
- Upon completion of the Level 2 Technical in Plumbing you can progress to employment or a Level 3 apprenticeship standard.
Will I need any materials or equipment?
Steel toe-capped boots, TMC branded clothing, lever arch file and paper, pens & coloured pencils, scientific calculator, drawing instruments; ruler, protractor, etc.
The City & Guilds textbook; Level 2 Diploma in Plumbing and Heating ISBN 978-0-85193-271-2, approximately £20.00.
Days & times
Starting September 2023